Aboriginal Head Start Program

Northwest Territories

Fort McPherson

Fort McPherson (Teetl’it Zheh - “town at the head of waters”), is located approximately 200 km south of Inuvik. The community sits on a hill overlooking the Peel River facing the Richardson Mountains. The Hudson’s Bay Company established a post in 1840, and the site was named after Murdoch McPherson, the first Chief Factor for the Company. Today, Fort McPherson is home for Tetlit Gwich’in, has a population of 850 people and is a frequent tourist stop on the Dempster Highway.